Because it’s just a ridiculous concept, I had to try to make these chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed rice krispy treats that I saw on Pinterest from Love Veggies and Yoga. I combined that recipe with this recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie for healthy chocolate chip “cookie dough” made from chickpeas.
I had made the chocolate chip cookie dough dip recipe before and eaten it plain, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to amp it up a bit.
For the cookie dough dip (inspired by this recipe):
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 can, drained) (250g)
- 3 pinches salt
- tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2-3 T. almond milk
- 2 T. brown sugar (I used Splenda blend)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 to 3 T gluten free oats
Directions: Add all ingredients (including just half of the chocolate chips) in a food processor, and blend until very smooth. Then mix in the rest of the chocolate chips. Chill in the refrigerator.
For the rice krispy bars (inspired by this recipe):
I made a half recipe of the normal rice krispy recipe on the back of the box, but if you were using a full 9 x 13 pan I would recommend using the whole recipe.
2 cups mini marshmallows (I use Campfire) plus an additional 1/2-3/4 cup
4 cups gluten free rice krispies (note: don’t use the puffed rice, not even close to the same. They’ll turn out soggy/overly chewy, I’ve made that mistake before.)
3 T. butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions: Take the marshmallows (reserving about 1 c of marshmallows) and melt them in a pan over a low heat with the butter. Add vanilla. Remove from heat and add in the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir to combine.
Put them together:
- Spray a brownie pan and press half of the rice krispy mixture into it (I also spray my hands to press it down without it sticking).
- Press clumps of the cookie dough onto the top of that layer so it’s fairly equally spread. Then sprinkle the extra mini marshmallows on.
- Quickly spread the rest of the rice krispy mixture on top and press down to seal the middle layer in.
- Allow to chill in the fridge while you melt some chocolate chips in the microwave.
- Spread chocolate over top and put back in the fridge to set up.
I’m trying to forget that these are in my fridge right now, but it’s not working very well.
Thanks to Pinterest for another brilliant find!