People who don’t know a lot (or anything) about Celiac disease can often say some hurtful, ignorant, or just plain annoying things when the topic comes up. So here are my top four things you should never say to someone who needs to eat gluten free, and four that you should say (or that I appreciate when they’re said to me).
4. “How much weight have you lost?” or “Well no wonder you’re so skinny!”
3. “Come on, just one bite won’t hurt! This is so good!”
2. “Well have you gotten tested? How do you know you have it?”
1. “I could never do that. I love bread too much! (giggle)”
Okay to say:
4. “Wow, that sucks. But I’m glad you’re feeling better now!”
3. “You know, I just saw a new restaurant with a gluten free menu!”
2. “That’s good to know, thanks for telling me about it. I’ll make sure to have some gluten free snacks on hand next time you come over!”
1. “I don’t know much about Celiac disease. Can you tell me more?”
Any other things that people have said to you that were either helpful or hurtful (or made you just want to punch them in the nose)?