This question has actually come up twice in the last 48 hours, so I figured it must be something that people are wondering. I eat gluten free wraps a LOT – specifically the Food for Life brown rice tortillas. I dip them in hummus, fill them with tuna salad, and make them into quesadillas. When you get them from the frozen section of the grocery store, they are hard as a rock and sometimes covered in little ice crystals…not very appetizing. I usually break off half of one since they’re pretty large, and put the rest back for later.
So, here’s the magic trick to getting the wrap not to break when you use it…
Treat them like corn tortillas and use one of these two prep methods.
- Wet hands with water
- Rub both sides of the tortilla
- Put on a plate and microwave for 12 seconds
- If it’s still a bit too wet, flip it over and add 5 seconds more
- Quickly run a paper towel under water
- Mush it into a ball so the entire thing is a bit wet
- Ring it out so the towel is just damp all over
- Wrap tortilla in paper towel
- Microwave for 15 seconds
If you use one of those two methods, the wrap will definitely not break on you. Now, it isn’t going to stay totally moist and wonderful forever. But it will definitely stay like that for your meal. If I’m packing one for lunch, I try to put a layer of hummus on it in the morning (then fill with whatever you want), which seems to keep it moist until lunch.
Hope that helps!